Training the Trainers
With mobile devices becoming attractive targets for hackers and cybercriminals, Robert Morris University cyber security experts are sharing their knowledge with faculty from 14 colleges and universities across the country during a five-day Mobile Forensics and Security (MFS) Training at the Moon Township campus beginning Monday, July 11.
Karen Paullet, associate professor of computer and information systems (CIS), and Jamie Pinchot, associate professor of CIS, will conduct the training. They oversee a new online certificate program in mobile forensics and security that the university is offering this fall.
Last year the RMU School of Communication and Information Systems received a $224,000 two-year grant from the National Science Foundation, part of which is dedicated to launching this training. Paullet and Pinchot plan to train 25 faculty across the nation at this session and 25 more in a similar session next year, so that their institutions will have the ability to develop and offer MFS programs for their students.
“For RMU, this is an honor to host this event,” says Paullet. “Mobile forensics and security is such an underrepresented topic in cyber forensics, and we have the skill set to host and teach this program.”
The university's new MFS certificate consists of seven courses (21 credits) and is designed to be able to be completed in one year, fully online.
“This would be something to enhance the resume of current undergraduate students, but it may also be attractive to professionals in the industry who wish to come back and enhance their skills in this new area,” says Pinchot. “Mobile security and mobile forensics are in great demand right now.”
Participating universities at RMU Mobile Forensics and Security Training:
- University of Hawaii - Maui College
- Middle Georgia State University (3 faculty)
- University of Maine (2 faculty)
- Trident Technical College – Maine
- Sam Houston State University - Texas (3 faculty)
- South Piedmont Community College - North Carolina
- University of Buffalo - (2 faculty)
- Indiana Wesleyan University - Indiana
- Ferrum College - Virginia (2 faculty)
- Slippery Rock University (2 faculty)
- Thiel College
- St. Vincent College
- Community College of Beaver County
- Butler County Community College