This degree program is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology - Computing Accreditation Commission (ABET-CAC). This accreditation assures that the program is in compliance with the latest national standards for information systems programs in the United States.
The information sciences degree program focuses on using technology as a tool to manage information in a variety of contexts. The program includes a core of courses focusing on business programming, e-commerce technology, systems analysis and design, operating systems concepts, database management systems, networks and data communications, and project management. Students choose a concentration area of information systems courses and an area of interest comprised of a cohesive body of knowledge outside of the Computer and Information Systems Department.
Program Educational Objectives
Five years after graduation the graduates should be:
- Contributing to the work force in their specialty such as but not limited to software development, networking data base administration or systems analysis
- Advancing their careers via continuous learning and professional development through the attainment of professional certification, professional study and research or graduate education
- Assuming positions of leadership within their organization
- Contributing to economic development and society through the development, maintenance and management of computer-based information systems for business, government, and other organizations
RMU Program Outcomes
- An ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer-based information system, process, component, or program to meet desired business or organizational specifications
- An ability to apply knowledge of information systems, programming and mathematics appropriate to the discipline
- An ability to demonstrate sufficient background knowledge in Operating Systems, Networking, Data Communication, Database Technology, Information Systems Planning, and Project Management
- An ability to analyze an information systems problem, define performance specifications to solve the problem and identify feasible solutions while recognizing the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society
- An ability to function effectively on teams and to be able to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for information systems practices by recognizing the need for, and the ability to engage in, continuing professional development
- An ability to understand professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
Areas of Concentration
Students choose a concentration area in order to add depth to their computer and information systems background. Concentration courses are chosen in consultation with a CIS advisor. Concentrations studied previously include health care information systems, network administration, office information systems, security, software development, and web design.
Concentration in Cyber Forensics and Information Security
As new technological innovations continue to proliferate in our society, so do the opportunities for technology exploitation. Once a mere nuisance, a growing army of a??hackersa?? now threaten private citizens, modern business organizations, not-for-profit organizations, and government agencies. Combating these threats will require a new breed of information professional . . . In the Public Sector, all levels of government and law enforcement need skilled professionals who can join the fight against cyber crime, cyber terrorism, identity theft, and the exploitation of minors. In the Private Sector, all organizations (whether business-related or not) need skilled professionals who have both the business acumen and the necessary technology skills for recognizing and mitigating the threats and vulnerabilities of information systems. In addition, specific information security skills and techniques are needed in order to detect, respond to, and prevent network intrusions. Finally, this new workforce must master the responsible use of resources, the appropriate management of risks, and the alignment of information technology with the organization. The Cyber Forensics and Information Security program combines the disciplines of technology, business, organizational behavior, and law to uniquely prepare information professionals for an increasingly dangerous cyber world!
Tuition information can be found at Tuition Fees & Schedules.
The following are required for admission:
- Robert Morris University application for admission - Apply Now!
- Official transcripts from high school and any post-secondary institutions attended
Sample Positions for Bachelor-Level Graduates
Systems analyst, telecommunications analyst, application developer, client/server operations analyst, consultant, programmer, software engineer.
Bachelor-Level Internship Employers
Aetna; America's Promise; Comcast; Bayer; Carnegie Science Center; Corporate Consulting Group; Envirotrol; Fisher Scientific; Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania; J&L Specialty Steel; Krispy Kreme; Management Science Associates; McKesson; Mellon Financial; Pittsburgh Mercy Health Systems; PNC Bank; UPMC Health System; US Airways; U.S. Steel; Vevolution; World Vision.
Bachelor-Level Hiring Organizations
Allegheny County; Baker Installations; Bayer; Community College of Beaver County; Celebro Auto Chooser; Children's Institute of Pittsburgh; Concentria; Coventry Healthcare; CTR Systems; E-Profile; Envirotrol; FedEx Ground; Fiserv; Giant Eagle; GNC; Healthtec Software; Integrated Health Systems; J&L Specialty Steel; Management Science Associates; McKesson Automation; Mellon Financial; National City Corp.; Oncology Nursing Society; PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; PC Network Services; Pittsburgh Mercy Health Systems; Pittsburgh Post-Gazette; Pittsburgh Technical Institute; R/M Analytical Services; Southwest Behavioral Health Management; Target Resources; Tissue Informatics; Total Equipment; Union Switch & Signal; University of Pittsburgh; U.S. Steel; Wesco Distribution.