The following are the criteria for the B. Kenneth Simon Free Enterprise Scholarship. Applicants must:
- Be enrolled as a high school senior.
- Be a resident for more than one year of one of the following Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington, or Westmoreland.
- Possess a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Possess a combined SAT score of 1100 (critical reading and math) or higher or an ACT composite score of 24 or better.
- Secure a sponsoring teacher from high school to serve as an advisor for the research paper.
- Submit a research paper of between 2,500 and 3,000 words on a topic established annually by the scholarship selection committee.
- Attend a mandatory orientation session on Tuesday, March 19, 2013, to gain direction on completing the required essay and to meet with members of the B. Kenneth Simon Free Enterprise Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Application Deadline is Friday, February 22, 2013. Please click here to download a pdf application.
- Friday, Feb. 22, 2013
Application deadline for all students interested in the scholarship.
- Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Applicants must attend this mandatory information session providing details on the scholarship and the selection process.
- Friday, April 19, 2013
Research papers due for all candidates.
- Friday, May 17, 2013 (approximately)
B. Kenneth Simon Free Enterprise Scholarship Fall 2013 recipient chosen and notified.
Topic For Research Paper For Fall 2013 Candidates
Politicians and others often cite the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution as equal authorities in defining the rights of the people in the United States. However, these two documents are very different.
How do the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution differ? What principles are espoused in one but not the other and why?