What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an opportunity for international students to obtain work experience in their field of study. These experiences can be internships, research, or cooperative education programs.
When can you start?
Start the process as soon as you become interested! Keep in mind that you must be lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least one full academic year (Fall and Spring) at Robert Morris University before you can start the CPT process. (An exception exists for graduate students whose programs require immediate curricular training).
You will need to search for, find, and be hired for the job before you register for CPT. The Career Center can help you with that.
Once you get the job, you will need to register for the CPT before you start working.
Please download the RMU Application to get started.What do you need?
- To be enrolled as a full time student at Robert Morris University
- A Letter or Email from the company giving you the job to verify the dates you will be employeed, hours per week you will work, and job description
- To be enrolled in an internship class at Robert Morris University, including summer opportunities
Things you should know?
- There is a limit to the amount of time per week you can work
- During the Spring or Fall you can work a maximum of 20 hours per week
- During the summer you can work over 20 horus per week
- Your CPT is only valid for the dates printed on your I-20, it is possible to extend your CPT but you must submit a new application each time, and register for additional credits
- CPT will be granted for the length of the semester that you are enrolled in an internship class and/or for no more than four months.
Questions? Please contact Jesse Phillipsfor more information.