The following describes the process for grant proposal development and submission:
1. The prospective principal investigator (PI) informs the Department Head, the Dean and the Research & Grants Administration of plans. The Research & Grants Administration offers guidance for proposal preparation including the project budget and guidance for any required Institutional Review Board (IRB) process.
2. The PI prepares and submits the following documentation to the Department Head and the Dean for review and approvals:
o Grant Proposal Process Form
o Request for Proposal
o Grant Proposal
o Grant Proposal Budget
3. The documentation is then forwarded to the Research & Grants Administration for review and approvals.
4. The Research & Grants Administration forwards documentation to Financial Operations for review of the proposed budget and to assess the University's ability to comply with funding agency requirements. At least three weeks is needed before the submission deadline for quality review and feedback. Expedited review will be accommodated for grants under $5,000.
5. If the “Grant Proposal” is not exempt from “Human Subject Review”, the sponsoring/funding agency requires the proposed research to be approved by the “Institutional Review Board” prior to start of the project.
6. The documentation must be approved and signed by the following individuals in the following order:
o Department Head
o Assistant Provost for Research & Graduate Studies
o Financial Operations
7. The RMU designee submits the proposal to the funding agency on behalf of the university.
8. A copy of the final documentation will be provided to the PI, the department head and the dean.
9. If the proposal is funded, the Research & Grants Administration will distribute a copy of the award notification letter to the principal investigator(s), the department heads, the deans, and Financial Operations.
10. The Research & Grants Administration convenes the initial project meeting with the PI and Financial Operations.
11. Financial Operations creates accounts, tracks grant expenditures, indirect costs and salary release reimbursement allocations, and reports quarterly to PI on budget expenditures.
12. The PI prepares draft of progress reports and final reports and forwards them to the RMU designee for submission to the sponsoring/funding agency.
13. Financial Operations prepares financial reports and forwards them to the Assistant Provost for Research & Graduate Studies, the department head and the dean.