By: Katie Vojtko of DonorPro by TowerCare Technologies
What is Peer-to-Peer Fundraising?
As planning picks up for summer or fall event season, your team may be considering opportunities to take your fundraising to the next level in 2013. Peer-to-peer fundraising offers a lot of advantages: increased supporter base, new donors, personalization, and consistency of your message. Nonprofits who utilize this fundraising strategy report increased revenue, efficiency, and productivity. Sounds like a win-win, right?
Peer-to-peer fundraising is an affordable and effective way to enlist your biggest supporters to fundraise on your behalf. Providing your network with branded individual fundraising pages will empower them to share their personal stories, promote your mission, and raise more money.
When to Use Peer-to-Peer Fundraising
When can you use peer-to-peer fundraising? While this isn't an exclusive list, these seem to be the most common:
- Grateful patient/recipient
- Marathon, walks, and rides
- Virtual drives
- Holidays and anniversaries
Bottom line: peer-to-peer fundraising offers a low-overhead cost and minimal time investment opportunity to build grassroots fundraising that can build your supporter base, boost revenue, and promote your mission.
Top 5 Tips for a Successful Peer-to-Peer Campaign
Here are our top 5 tips for kicking off your peer-to-peer campaign with success:
- Train your staff, volunteers, and fundraisers. Provide them with scripts for both the ask and thank you, online fundraising tutorials, and encouragement.
- Test first by trying a campaign concept with just 5 or 10 fundraisers. Learn about their wins and frustrations. Tweak as necessary then launch on a larger scale.
- Find well-networked individuals who are current supporters of your mission. Work with them closely and provide the support/content that will enable them to be the most effective peer-to-peer fundraisers.
- Integrate your campaign pages with social media. Allow for easy shares and emails.
- Prominently place your campaign pages on both your website and your social media platforms.
Peer-to-Peer campaigns will to take your fundraising events to the next level. With a little upfront planning and preparation, your supporters will take your mission to new heights. Learn more about peer-to-peer fundraising by attending a DonorPro peer-to-peer fundraising webinar.