RMU Home Page

Get Out Your Brooms 

Oxford, Ohio – After shocking the college hockey world on Friday night with a stunning upset of the nation's top squad, the Robert Morris University men's hockey team set out to sweep No. 1 Miami (Ohio) on Sunday afternoon at the Goggin Ice Arena.  For the second straight game, RMU received stellar goaltending and solid special teams play as they held on to defeat the RedHawks, 2-1.

Sophomore netminder, Brooks Ostergard (Chagrin Falls, Ohio / Bay State Breakers), led the Colonials for the second consecutive game as he made 38 saves.  With the win, Robert Morris moves to 5-12-3 and 1-4-2 in conference action.

"I have been saying that I like our team and we were so close to putting it all together," said head coach Derek Schooley. "This weekend, we put it together and now the challenge is to sustain it."

Once again, the two teams settled into a defensive battle as both teams killed off a pair of power plays in the scoreless first period.  The RedHawks owned shots throughout the night and held the advantage 17-3 at the end of first session.

Only 11 seconds into the second period and on a power play, junior forward Chris Kushneriuk (Ottawa, Ontario / Wayne State) won a draw and kicked the puck to defenseman Denny Urban (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Ohio Blue Jackets).  Urban then found Nathan Longpre (Peterborough, Ontario / Mahoning Valley Phantoms) who put a shot on net and ultimately chipped in his own rebound to give RMU the 1-0 lead with his power play goal.

In a game that featured 18 penalties combined, Miami then notched a power play goal of their own at the 11:46 mark of the second.  Pat Cannone, assisted by Tommy Wingels and Carter Camper, evened the game at one with his sixth of the season.

Five minutes later and 1:45 into their sixth man-advantage of the night, the Colonials got their game-winning score when Urban forced a turnover on a failed RedHawk clearing attempt.  After stealing the puck, Urban then streaked into the zone and beat Miami goalie, Cody Knapp, top shelf to put RMU back on top, 2-1.

At the end of two, Robert Morris had a one goal lead as they outshot the RedHawks 10-8 during the period.

In the third, Miami spent nearly 11 minutes of the session on a power play.  During the period, Miami outshot RMU 14-2, however the Colonial penalty kill unit and Ostergard held on firmly to secure the 2-1 win. 

By defeating the RedHawks, Robert Morris picks up its first two-game series sweep since Feb. 2009 when the Colonials were in the midst of their 11-game unbeaten streak.

Robert Morris will return home this Friday and Saturday as they resume conference play against the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers at the RMU Island Sports Center.  Friday's contest will begin at 7:05 p.m.