Resources for International Students

Please use this section to find information about studying in America, RMU policies, federal regulations, and different opportunities available to RMU students on campus and in Pittsburgh. Note it is your responsbility to understand how to maintain your immigration status while at RMU.

Contact the RMU Center for Global Engagement

Colonial Village #2 | Phone: 412.397.4243 | Fax: 412.397.2510 |

Getting to the US

Please visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Study in the States  for detailed information about your non-immigrant status, including rights and responsibilities.

Applying for Your Visa

Be aware that wait times can vary dramitically by country, or even region within a country. Check the Department of State for your consulate's current wait time and plan accordingly.

Allow yourself no less than 6 weeks to get your visa before you are scheduled to arrive in the U.S.
The consulate officer will ask you questions to determine your intent to return home and to prove that you have adequate funds. Answer truthfully only the questions asked to you, and be sure to bring orginal documents. Remember, only you can convince the U.S. Consulate that you should be issued a student visa.

F-1 Visa (Degree-seeking Students): You must first obtain your I-20 from the Center for Global Engagement

  • Complete your I-901 Form
  • Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. Be sure to print and keep the receipt!
  • Make an appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Complete an F-1 visa application.
  • Take the following items with you to your visa appointment:
    • I-20 Form 
    • Receipt of Payment for the I-901 SEVIS Fee 
    • Original Financial Documents 
    • RMU Acceptance Letter 
    • Scholarship Letter(s) 
    • Undergraduate Students Only: TOEFL, IELTS or SAT Verbal scores 
    • Graduate Students Only: GMAT or GRE scores depending on program 
    • Any other document the Consular requests

    J-1 Visa (Exchange Students and Scholars)

    • Wait for your welcome package, it will contain your DS-2019 form.
    • Complete your I-901 Form.
    • Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. Be sure to print the receipt! 
    • Make an appointment with the nearest  U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
    • Complete a J-1 visa application.
    • Take the following items with you to your visa appointment: 
      • DS-2019 Form 
      • Receipt of Payment for the I-901 SEVIS Fee 
      • RMU Acceptance Letter 
      • Original Financial Documents 
      • Any other documents the Consulate requests

    Request a Letter

    Please note it can take up to two weeks for any letter requests and that letters will not be emailed.

    • Enrollment Letter - This is called a "Student Verification Letter." Students can log into their RMU account online and print it. Sponsors will want a copy of your checksheet as well as this letter. Click here for instructions in Arabic.
    • Scholarship Extension Letter - This is a letter to extend the length of your scholarship to cover your remaining semesters. All information for this letter is taken directly from your degree checksheet. Any pending updates to your check sheet will not be included. You must also print a "Student Verification Letter" to get the expected graduation date as it will not be included in the extension letter. 
    • Online Course Letters - Please note: Letters will only be written if they meet SACM's policy. This means the course must not be available on ground.
    • Tutoring Letter - Please note that tutoring must NOT be available on campus in order to be approved for an off-campus tutor. Visit the Tutoring Center for a list of available tutors.
    • Change of Major Letter - This letter is for sponsored students who need permission from their sponsor in order to change thier major or other program of study information.
    • Dean's List Letters - Should you earn a Dean's list letter it will be sent to your "Local" mailing address. The school will not reprint Dean's list letters so ensure your local address is current. You can check your local address by logging into RMU account online.
    • Degree Confirmation Letter/Email - Sponsors will request your degree confirmation via email. You must give your sponsor permission to your RMU records. CGE will complete the confirmation and return it to the sponsor.
    • Driver's License Letters -  no longer required by the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles. 

    F2 Request

    In order to issue the F-2 Dependent I-20, you need to complete this form: Dependent I-20 Request Form.

    In addition, you need to email the following documents to Please put "F2 Request" in the subject line.

    • CLEAR copies of Passports for each dependent 
    • Copy of your Marriage Certificate (translated into English) for a spouse
    • Copy of Birth Certificates (translated into English) for any children
    • RMU Financial Guarantee along with Financial Proof showing at least $5000 for each dependent, in addition to the costs associated with attending RMU

    If you are SACM sponsored, you do not need to do #4.  Instead, send a copy of your most recent financial guarantee.

    If you are not SACM sponsored, we need a completed RMU Financial Guarantee and financial proof (e.g. bank statements). The RMU Financial Guarantee and Bank Statements can be completed by anyone willing to sponsor the dependent(s) (e.g. family members).

    We cannot issue the I-20(s) until we have these documents and you have completed the form. Once we have a complete application, the standard processing time is 2 weeks.

    Helpful Websites

    More Information