The B.S. in Manufacturing Engineering is the only four-year degree program in manufacturing engineering in western Pennsylvania. It examines methods to design, plan, develop, improve, and manage the machinery, processes, and systems that produce the products we see and use on a daily basis. Students learn about materials, processes, assembly methods, production equipment, systems capabilities, and quality standards that ensure products meet customers' expectations. With the 4+1 integrated degree program, students can go on to earn an M.S. in Engineering Management with only one additional year of study.
Graduates go on to work in engineering, aerospace, general contracting, energy, manufacturing, and transportation. Jobs include field engineer, project engineer, quality control engineer, consultant, and project manager.
The Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET has accredited the B.S. degree programs in Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering.
Won Joo, Ph.D.
Interim Department Head, Engineering
Ergin Erdem, Ph.D., CMfgE
Coordinator, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- Additional Program Details
Program Educational Objectives
Five years after graduation, the graduates should:
- Be technically competent manufacturing engineers with strong background in materials and processes, product, tooling and assembly engineering, manufacturing systems and operations as well as manufacturing competitiveness.
- Be hands-on practitioners of manufacturing engineering.
- Possess strong understanding of business and, strong team and communications skills.
- Be well-prepared to embrace the continuous learning necessary to practice manufacturing engineering over their entire professional lifetimes.
- Have a strong understanding of engineering ethics.
At the time of graduation, the graduate should have:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- an ability to communicate effectively.
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- knowledge of contemporary issues.
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- proficiency in materials and manufacturing processes and understand the behavior and properties of materials as they are altered and influenced by processing in manufacturing.
- proficiency in process, assembly and product engineering and understand the design of products and the equipment, tooling, and environment necessary for their manufacture.
- an appreciation for the necessity for manufacturing competitiveness and understand how to create competitive advantage through manufacturing planning, strategy and control.
- the ability to design manufacturing systems through the analysis, synthesis, and control of manufacturing operations using statistical and calculus based methods, simulation, and information technology.
- laboratory experiences which enable them to measure manufacturing process variables and make technical inferences about them.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
- 2017: …………………
- 2016: …………………
- 2015: .... enrolled, 10 graduates
- 2014: 124 enrolled, 10 graduates
- 2013: 54 enrolled, 0 graduates
- 2012: 33 enrolled, 3 graduates
- 2011: 22 enrolled, 12 graduates
- 2010: 23 enrolled, 6 graduates
- 2009: 20 enrolled, 8 graduates
These are some of the classes for students in this academic program:
School of Engineering, Mathematics and Science
Explore your world, innovate, and develop the solutions for the challenges of tomorrow. Be a professional with workplace-ready skills and a talent for teamwork and leadership.Visit School Site