Up Next Mentorship
The adjustment from High School to College can bring about many challenges including: changes in curriculum, differences in expectations, and adjusting to a new environment.
The RMU Up Next Mentorship Program will link new African American students to other African American upper-class student mentors with similar interests.
How it works
Students will have the opportunity to become acclimated on campus before the start of the academic year. This program encourages a two year commitment that will conclude when mentors graduate and our mentees become juniors and become eligible to serve as mentors themselves. In return for taking on this leadership role, students will receive career, academic and personal coaching from a faculty, staff and/or alumnus.
- Become familiar with the campus
- Learn about university resources
- Develop positive relationships with students, faculty and staff
- Strengthen self-confidence
- Sharpen time management skills
- Enhance leadership skills
- Arrive on campus for an pre-orientation program - August 18, 2019
- Career, academic and personal coaching from a faculty, staff, and/or alumnus
- Learn from peer-mentors, through their experiences
- Locating post-secondary opportunities
- Receiving SET credit for graduation
- Growth within social network outlets
- Campus leadership and lifelong friendships