The insurance and health care delivery system reforms passed as part of the Affordable Care Act in 2010 have added to an already high demand for skilled managers in acute care hospitals, ambulatory care clinics, long-term care organizations, community-based service providers and other ancillary enterprises. Today's professionals must be prepared to direct person-centered integrated care delivery systems, navigate increasingly complex private and public regulatory environments, manage creative workplace environments and foster the efficient and effective adoption of new technologies by health care practitioners.
RMU's Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Health Services Administration program (B.S.) in Health Services Administration degree program offered in two delivery formats (online and on-ground), is designed to prepare individuals to gain entry and advance as leaders in a wide variety of health care organizations. The B.S. in Health Services Administration equips individuals with the knowledge and skills necessary to lead organizations in providing better health care for individuals, fostering better health for the population and lowering per-capita costs through improvement. The program integrates theory with timely and relevant case study examples to support individuals in developing a comprehensive and practical understanding of the health care industry.
The program consists of 120 credits of coursework including a customized internship of 120 hours. The program director and faculty advisors will help students customize this field experience to their career focus and interests. This internship will allow students to put learned theory into practice and obtain network connections helpful to obtaining future employment opportunities.
RMU's program was ranked #5 in The Best Colleges' Top 10 Bachelor of Health Management and Health Administration Degree Programs of 2011-12. It also made SuperScholar's list of the Top 25 Smart Choice Schools for Online Healthcare Administration Degrees.
The BS in HSA program prepares students to:
- Provide leadership in health care organizations with a focus on patient safety, quality, healthcare analytics and performance improvement.
- Develop an understanding of healthcare law and ethical principles in the context of the healthcare environment.
- Employ advocacy strategies to influence healthcare policy.
- Understand basic health care finance and efficient use of resources.
- Integrate theory into practice.
- Develop the ability to motivate and lead individuals and teams in the healthcare setting.
- Comunicate clearly and succinctly in speech and writing.
- Apply a working knowledge of healthcare administration in order to obtain an entry level position.