Commencement | FAQs
RMU President Michelle Patrick will preside over both the undergraduate and graduate ceremonies. All students participating in both commencement ceremonies will be recognized by name and congratulated on stage.
What are the Dates of Graduation?
- May 5, 2023 at 4:00pm - Graduate Ceremony (Master's and Doctoral Degrees)
- May 6, 2023 at 9:30am - Undergraduate Commencement (Bachelor's Degrees)
How many tickets will we be able to reserve?
- Graduate Ceremony (Master’s and Doctoral) -
- Tickets will not be required for the Graduate Ceremony, and there is no limit on the number of guests you may invite.
- Undergraduate Ceremony (Bachelors)
- Each graduate is guaranteed four tickets. A link to the ticketing site will be emailed.
- All ticket reservations must be made before April 1, 2023
- For ticket questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
When do we order Cap and Gown?
- Regalia can be ordered here.
- Your regalia will be mailed to your home address. The deadline to order is April 4, 2023. If you chose to pick up your regalia at the RMU Bookstore, you may do that during Senior Salute, March 27 and 28. If you cannot attend Senior Salute, you may pick up your regalia during normal bookstore hours beginning March 27, 2023.
What do I do if I didn't order my cap and gown on time?
If you still have not received your cap and gown, please visit the RMU Bookstore.
Do we practice?
- As there will be no official commencement ceremony practice, you will be given instructions for the day upon your arrival.
What time do we arrive?
The graduate ceremony begins at 4pm sharp, We ask all graduates to please arrive by 3pm.
The undergraduate ceremony begins at 9:30am sharp. We ask that all graduates please arrive by 8:30am.
Where do we report?
- Graduates will report to the practice gym at the UPMC Events Center. We will have staff on hand to assist you with finding your way.
Do I have an assigned seat?
- Graduates will line up with their academic school. Please line up in the practice gym to sit by your friends as the line is not alphabetical.
What should I wear?
- We ask that you wear professional attire under your regalia. Suit jackets are not necessary, as they may be uncomfortable underneath the regalia.
When do I get my Academic Honors Medallion?
- Undergraduate students who earned academic honors should claim their medallions prior to the undergraduate commencement ceremony in the practice gym. Honor medallions are based on the fall semester’s grade point average. All medallions are prepared before grades are due on May 1st. Preparation time is limited between the grade due date and commencement to review all student’s grade point averages to adjust for changes. Spring’s degree honors will be printed on transcripts and the diploma following the ceremony. The following week after commencement, we can exchange medallions if the GPA increased or decreased.
Honor medallions are exclusively for undergraduate students.
Undergraduate (Bachelor’s) Honors:
GPA RANGE HONORS AWARDED
3.50 – 3.74 Cum Laude
3.75 – 3.94 Magna Cum Laude
3.95 – 4.00 Summa Cum Laude
What accommodations do you have for guests traveling in wheelchairs, with walkers, or guests with mobility challenges?
- Special parking is reserved in the Upper UPMC Lot. Guests with special accommodations should enter the UPMC gate. Reserved seating is available for guests traveling in wheelchairs. Staff will be available to assist your family in finding seats.
What time do doors open for guests?
- Graduate Ceremony: 2:30pm
- Undergraduate Ceremony: 8:00am
Is there a reception?
- A reception will be held in the West Concourse of the UPMC Events Center following each ceremony.
How long is the ceremony?
- While there is no set time, in previous years the graduate ceremony was concluded in 2 hours, while the undergraduate ceremony has concluded in 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Does someone take a picture of the graduates with their diplomas?
- Yes, RMU partners with Island Photography to capture all of the magic of the day. Island will send an email to the graduates university email account with a link to purchase.
Does the graduate receive their actual diploma on stage?
- During the ceremony, graduates will receive a diploma certificate cover. Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address about eight weeks after the conferral of the degrees. Please be sure your address is updated in your banner profile, especially if you are moving after graduation.
- Doctoral students will receive their diploma on stage.
Students earning a dual degree (e.g. BFA and BS) will receive two diplomas, one for each separate degree. Students earning two majors or two concentrations within the same degree will receive one diploma. Only Engineering majors and Bachelor of Science in Business Administrations have a concentration printed due to accreditation requirements. Minors are not printed on a diploma. Undergraduate honors of either Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude will be printed on the diploma. All majors, minors, certificates and degree honors are printed on the transcript.
The name printed on your diploma is pulled directly from the information submitted from the graduation application that you submitted. Your name must match the information on file in your student profile. If you need to change your name, you must complete a Name Change Form and provide legal documentation to the Office of the Registrar. This must be completed by April 3rd.
Is there a livestream of the event?
- Yes - we will stream the ceremony at RMU’s YouTube Channel
What parking information is needed?
- There is free parking available in the UPMC Lot, Colonial Way Lot, Upper UPMC Lot, and other lots across campus. Graduation day brings a heavy amount of traffic to campus and University Boulevard. Please plan to arrive early to avoid any traffic delays.
- For the safety of RMU guests and to maintain traffic flow, stopping and drop-off are prohibited along Campus Drive. Limited accessibility drop-off is permitted in the drive-through circle directly in front of the UPMC Gate on Massey Way.
- The UPMC Gate parking is an ADA primary parking and drop off location. The upper lot is next to the ADA lot on Massey way. There are no drop-offs at the People’s gate.
When will I receive my honors cords?
- Graduation cords are handled by the particular honor society or organization and distributed to the graduates by the individual group/organization.
- The Barnes and Noble Bookstore will be in the arena providing the opportunity to purchase flowers and other gifts for your graduate.