International Student Admission Process
Step One: Admissions Process
For Undergraduate Students
To begin the admissions process, applicants must promptly submit the following to the Office of Admissions:
- Complete RMU’s free online application at rmu.edu/apply
- Official transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary schools attended
- Official third-party evaluation of all transcripts that were not issued from a school in the United States.
- For Transfer Students: college transcripts should include a course by course evaluation to ensure credits are transferred and applied correctly. If the student has earned 30+ credits at a college in the United States, secondary school transcripts may not be required.
- Scores from an approved English language exam (we accept TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo) Note: This requirement may be waived if the student completed high school or college courses where instruction was given in English. Minimum scores required are as follows:
- TOEFL - 61 ibt, 500 written
- IELTS - 5.0 overall band score
- Duolingo English Test (DET) - 85
- PTE - 45
- Copy of passport
- For Transfer students: Copies of all previously issued I-20s, I-94, and Visa page
For Graduate Students
- Complete RMU’s free application for admission at rmu.edu/apply
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended
- Official third-party evaluation of all transcripts that were not issued from a school in the United States
- Copies of all previously issued I-20s. I-94 card, Visa page and passport
- Two letters of professional reference
- Current resume
- Statement of purpose
- GMAT if you are applying for the MBA or MS in Business. Minimum score of 470 required
- GRE if you are applying for the MS in Engineering Management. Minimum score 150 quantitative, 146 verbal
- Scores from an approved English language exam (we accept TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo) Note: This requirement may be waived if the student completed college courses where instruction was given in English. Minimum scores required are as follows:
- TOEFL- 79iBT, 550pBT all schools
- School of Engineering, Mathematics and Science- 6.5
- School of Business- 6.5
- School of Nursing, Education and Human Studies- 7.0
- School of Informatics, Humanities and Social Sciences- 7.0
- Duolingo English Test- 100
- PTE- 53
After all documents are submitted, applications will be reviewed by the Office of Admissions and an admissions decision will be communicated to the applicant. Prospective students will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org .
Once an admissions decision is made, the names of admitted students will be sent to the Center for Global Engagement (CGE).
|Program Name||On Ground?||STEM?|
|MS in Data Analytics||yes||yes|
|MS in Information Systems Management||yes||yes|
|MS in Cybersecurity||yes||yes|
|MS in Instructional Leadership||yes||no|
|MS in Engineering Mgmt||yes||yes|
|MS in Healthcare Analytics||yes||yes|
|MS in Counseling Psychology||yes||no|
|MS in Cyber Investigations and Intelligence||yes||no|
For students who are seeking admission but have not achieved the minimum required scores on the IELTS or TOEFL, RMU has developed several partnerships that offer conditional admission or TOEFL/IELTS waivers. If you are a student at one of the partners below, please let our international admissions team know that when you are applying:
English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Pittsburgh:
- Students who have completed ELI levels 5 or 6 with 85% or better in most courses in the ELI’s full-time Intensive English Program and an overall average of 80% in all classes may have their IELTS/TOEFL requirement waived.
- Students who are currently enrolled in the ELI may be considered for conditional admission if they plan to complete ELI levels 5 or 6. The conditional admission may be upgraded to full admission when the student has completed levels 5 or 6 in the ELI’s full-time Intensive English Program with 85% or better in most courses in the ELI’s and an overall average of 80% in all classes, and provided that the student does not violate his/her immigration status.
ELS Language Center:
- Students who have completed ELS Level 112 may have the IELTS/TOEFL requirement waived.
- Students who are enrolled currently in an ELS program and intend to complete Level 112 are eligible for conditional admission if they meet all other criteria for admissions. Upon completing the program, the conditional admission may be upgraded to a full admission provided the student does not violate his/her immigration status.
Step Two: I-20 Issuance Process
Prior to starting this process:
- Accepted students will receive an automated email requesting them to activate their RMU email account.
- Students with activated email accounts will then receive an automated email from DoNotReply@rmu.edu with directions for the I-20 Request Application.
To receive an I-20, admitted students must promptly complete the following:
- Complete the I-20 Request Application following instructions provided in the email from DoNotReply@rmu.edu .
- Note: Admitted students must make sure their “Home Country Address” is their permanent address, not their address in the US. Once the I-20 is issued, admitted students may change their mailing address, which may be different from their Home Country Address.
- Provide the following materials to email@example.com, when requested by the CGE:
- Financial proof* for undergraduates (see below). Acceptable proof includes:
- Bank statement that is less than 6 months old
- Scholarships - merit award details received from the RMU Admissions office.
- For Student Athletes: If applicable also provide National Letter of Intent (NLI)** (see below) with scholarship listed.
- A standardized estimate for all international undergraduates, includes an estimate for personal and miscellaneous expenses. Amount will be mentioned in the email.
- Preference for scholarship listed as 100% Funding or Full Tuition, Room and Board. If scholarship does not state Full or 100%, students must show funds via bank statements that cover the remaining amount.
- Signed RMU Financial Statement (click here to access the statement).
- Photo of the information page of applicant’s passport, showing expiration date at least 6 months in the future (or proof of passport renewal application, if applicable)
- Financial proof* for undergraduates (see below). Acceptable proof includes:
- Additional Requirements for Transfer Students: (including students who transfer their immigration record from a US high school or English language program)
- RMU SEVIS Transfer In Letter (click to access) and Immigration record from transfer out university
- Photo of I-20 (if not already provided during admissions process)
- Photo of VISA page (if not already provided during admissions process)
- Copy of I-94-Admission Record (if not already provided during admissions process)
- For Dependents: complete the Dependent I-20 Request Google Form (click to access) and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org financial documentation for $5,000 per each dependent, and dependent’s passport, birth, or marriage certificates (in English).
Please be advised that the CGE needs all of the above before an applicant’s new I-20 for RMU can be issued.
Issuance of I-20:
- Once the above steps are completed, RMU will issue an I-20 for the accepted student. Student will receive an automated email from DoNotReply@rmu.edu with the following instructions:
- Accepted student must promptly pay their $350 SEVIS Fee (unless they are a SEVIS Transfer Student)
- Student must upload their SEVIS receipt (if applicable) and submit their mailing address into the I-20 Request Application portal.
By completing these steps, the issuance of the I-20 form is complete. Admitted students will receive their I-20 in the mailing address specified. The I-20 can then be used to apply for a US Visa. **NOTE: Canadian citizens do not to apply for the F-1 Visa at a consulate, they receive a stamp in their passport when they enter the US.
To be registered for classes all students must:
- Pay their RMU deposit of $500 (this requirement can be waived for students who are fully funded through scholarship)
- Must have already submitted their SEVIS fee receipt and their mailing address in the I-20 Request Application Portal.
Before arriving at RMU to begin classes, all students must:
- Purchase a parking pass (if students plan to have vehicle on campus)
- Complete a RMU housing contract (if students plan to reside on campus)
- Provide proof of health insurance comparable to the RMU student insurance plan. If necessary, students may also, purchase the RMU student insurance plan.
- Complete RMU’s student health forms (These forms require a physical exam and a physician’s signature)
Costs and Scholarship Opportunities
Academic scholarships are awarded to international students at the point of acceptance to the university. These awards are based solely on GPA which is converted to a 4.0 scale by International Admissions.
For tuition, room, board and fee costs, please see our cost of attendance.
Mail your completed application and supporting materials to:
Robert Morris University
6001 University Boulevard
Moon Township, PA 15108-1189 USA
Application Deadlines: May 1 for Fall attendance and November 1 for Spring attendance
Questions regarding the admissions process should be directed to:
- Office of Admissions
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 800-762-0097
Questions about I-20, SEVIS, international orientation should be directed to:
- Center for Global Engagement
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 412-397-4243