Bayer Center - Research and Publications
If you’re looking for information about our pioneering research projects, “74%”, “What Now” and “The Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations” and others, you've come to the right place!
Wage and Benefit Research
When you’re setting salaries, the Wage & Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations can give you all the comparables you need. We are deeply grateful for the 185 nonprofit organizations who took the time to fill out the 2021 survey and made it possible for us to report on over 11,000 local nonprofit employees. Thank you!
This invaluable tool gives you all the information you need to comply with IRS requirements for setting compensation packages, to remain competitive in your own retention and succession planning, and to develop organization-wide salary charts. As we prepare to gather data for the 2023 edition, the cost of the 2021 survey will be reduced to $100 for nonprofits with budgets under $2 million, and $150 for nonprofits with budgets over $2 million. Once purchased, the research can be shared with anyone within your organization. Nonprofits who participate in the survey receive the results for free.
To purchase your copy, visit our online store. Additionally, we will need your help to gather the new data this coming September. Once again, the survey report will be distributed to participants at no charge. Contact Carrie Tancraitor at 412-397-6003 or email@example.com to find out how to participate.
Download Previous Surveys (PDF format)
- 2019 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2017 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2015 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2012 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2010 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2008 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
What Now? Research
This pioneering BCNM project brings vital research, conversations and experts together to explore:
- The ramifications of these retirements on the organizations that serve our communities.
- The need for better preparation of the next generation of nonprofit leaders.
- Ideas to improve the prospects for all nonprofit employees.
Take the journey through our research and follow nonprofit stories as the most seasoned leaders and staff members of our communities' vital nonprofits move into retirement. Learn more here.
Throughout our research project "74%: Exploring the Lives of Women Leaders in Nonprofit Careers," the Bayer Center examined thousands of 990 forms for Southwestern PA nonprofits to learn about local wage inequity issues.
We distilled our areas of focus into three key questions:
- How can we assure young professional women have opportunity for increased responsibilities and leadership roles?
- How are older nonprofit professional women going to re-tool their careers and eventually retire with dignity?
- How can we strengthen the board of directors sense of responsibility to their employees? (74% has developed the tool 7 Key Questions for Board Members to help!)
On behalf of women in the nonprofit workforce, the Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University is leading the way to promote change in this picture through research and education. Download and share our research brochures, infographic and lead researcher's dissertation here:
- Carrie Tancraitor's PhD dissertation
- November 2013 Infographic Poster
- May 2013 Research Brochure
- November 2012 Research Brochure
- May 2012 Research Brochure
- November 2011 Research Brochure
- May 2011 Research Brochure
The bi-annual Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey examines trends in local nonprofits' technology usage. We are grateful to our 2010 sponsors: DonorPro by TowerCare Technologies, NET Xperts and Plummer Slade.
Download Surveys (PDF format)
- 2010 Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey
- 2008 Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey
In the fall of 2008, the Bayer Center launched a longitudinal survey to assess the current and anticipated impact of the economic recession on nonprofit organizations in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Thanks to the generous support and the interest of the Richard King Mellon Foundation in these findings, the Bayer Center was able to continue our efforts to measure how our region’s nonprofits are faring. The most recent iteration of the survey was distributed in the summer of 2010.
Download Surveys (PDF format)