Bayer Center - Research and Publications
If you’re looking for information about our pioneering research projects, “74%”, “What Now” and “The Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations” and others, you've come to the right place!
Wage and Benefit Research
When you’re setting salaries, the Wage & Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations can give you all the comparables you need. We are deeply grateful for the 188 nonprofit organizations who took the time to fill out the 2019 survey and made it possible for us to report on over 9,000 local nonprofit employees. Thank you!
We are currently collecting data for the 2021 Wage and Benefit Survey. All information is held in the strictest confidence, viewed only by our independent consultant. Those who participate will receive a FREE copy which can be used by anyone in your organization. Please participate today!
The 2019 survey is currently available for purchase. Those who participated received the 2019 survey for FREE. The cost for non-particiants is $200 for nonprofits with budgets under $2M, and $300 for nonprofits with budgets over $2M. Order the survey and pay online under the section titled, "Additonal Programs" at the top of the page. Once payment is received, the survey will be sent to you digitally and can be used by anyone within your organization.
This bi-annual survey adds depth to our collective nonprofit management knowledge base.
The IRS 990 form for nonprofits to benchmark executive compensation against the market Boards hiring new executive directors or seeking to fairly compensate current staff Staff leaders seeking to bring equity to their salary administration
Download Previous Surveys (PDF format)
- 2017 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2015 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2012 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2010 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
- 2008 Wage and Benefit Survey for Southwestern PA Nonprofit Organizations
What Now? Research
This pioneering BCNM project brings vital research, conversations and experts together to explore:
- The ramifications of these retirements on the organizations that serve our communities.
- The need for better preparation of the next generation of nonprofit leaders.
- Ideas to improve the prospects for all nonprofit employees.
Take the journey through our research and follow nonprofit stories as the most seasoned leaders and staff members of our communities' vital nonprofits move into retirement. Learn more here.
Throughout our research project "74%: Exploring the Lives of Women Leaders in Nonprofit Careers," the Bayer Center examined thousands of 990 forms for Southwestern PA nonprofits to learn about local wage inequity issues.
We distilled our areas of focus into three key questions:
- How can we assure young professional women have opportunity for increased responsibilities and leadership roles?
- How are older nonprofit professional women going to re-tool their careers and eventually retire with dignity?
- How can we strengthen the board of directors sense of responsibility to their employees? (74% has developed the tool 7 Key Questions for Board Members to help!)
On behalf of women in the nonprofit workforce, the Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management at Robert Morris University is leading the way to promote change in this picture through research and education. Download and share our research brochures, infographic and lead researcher's dissertation here:
- Carrie Tancraitor's PhD dissertation
- November 2013 Infographic Poster
- May 2013 Research Brochure
- November 2012 Research Brochure
- May 2012 Research Brochure
- November 2011 Research Brochure
- May 2011 Research Brochure
The bi-annual Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey examines trends in local nonprofits' technology usage. We are grateful to our 2010 sponsors: DonorPro by TowerCare Technologies, NET Xperts and Plummer Slade.
Download Surveys (PDF format)
- 2010 Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey
- 2008 Southwestern Pennsylvania Nonprofit Technology Survey
In the fall of 2008, the Bayer Center launched a longitudinal survey to assess the current and anticipated impact of the economic recession on nonprofit organizations in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Thanks to the generous support and the interest of the Richard King Mellon Foundation in these findings, the Bayer Center was able to continue our efforts to measure how our region’s nonprofits are faring. The most recent iteration of the survey was distributed in the summer of 2010.
Download Surveys (PDF format)