Sign up to volunteer for 2023 VITA now!
The RMU VITA program collectively spent 1,584 hours helping 362 individuals/families file their taxes in 2022. Make an impact by volunteering for the 2023 income tax assistance program by becoming an IRS- certified income tax preparer!
Taxes are not usually the first thing that comes to mind when we talk about food justice or combating poverty. However, helping people access their full tax refund and utilizing programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit directly gives more financial stability to people in need.
Volunteering with the Free Tax Prep Coalition is both professionally and communally helpful. Tax preparers get to work directly with taxpayers and every volunteer goes through free virtual training that results in an IRS Tax Certification. Additionally, RMU students can earn internship credit in the spring 2023 semester.
Volunteering will be rewarding and fun …
- Tax experience is not necessary but is appreciated!
- IRS Tax Certification and training are provided.
- Volunteers work with taxpayers from all over Pittsburgh.
- Staff are available to answer questions and provide support.
VITA program volunteer requirements:
- RMU students (any major) in good standing
- All volunteers must complete the IRS Tax Certification exam and training.
- All new volunteers must have a background check
- All volunteers must be computer proficient.
- All volunteers must commit at least two weekday evenings and at least half day on Saturdays in February – April 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Joe Shangguan, 2023 Faculty VITA Director at firstname.lastname@example.org