Free Tax Return Preparation and Filing
Free counseling and tax filing for households with up to $60,000 annual income.
The RMU VITA program collectively spent 1,584 hours helping 362 individuals/families file their taxes in 2022. More information will be coming soon for the 2023 program.
Make an impact by volunteering for the 2023 income tax assistance program by becoming an IRS- certified income tax preparer!
Taxes are not usually the first thing that comes to mind when we talk about food justice or combating poverty. However, helping people access their full tax refund and utilizing programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit directly gives more financial stability to people in need.
Volunteering with the Free Tax Prep Coalition is both professionally and communally helpful. Tax preparers get to work directly with tax payers and every volunteer goes through free virtual training that results in a IRS Tax Certification. Additionally, RMU students can earn internship credit in the spring 2023 semester.
Volunteering will be rewarding and fun …
- Tax experience is not necessary but is appreciated!
- IRS Tax Certification and training are provided.
- Volunteers work with taxpayers from all over Pittsburgh.
- Staff are available to answer questions and provide support.
VITA program volunteer requirements:
- All volunteers must complete the IRS Tax Certification exam and training.
- All new volunteers must have a background check
- All volunteers must be computer proficient.
- All volunteers must commit at least two week day evenings and at least half day on Saturdays in
February – April 2023.
What’s new in 2023 – For high school students only!
We welcome high school students to volunteer with us as either an intake specialist or a tax preparer! As an Intake Specialist with RMU VITA sites, you will meet with taxpayers in person to coordinate the check-in process, ensure they have all of the paperwork needed to accurately prepare their return, and make referrals to connect households with relevant community resources. Careful completion of the interview process helps to ensure that taxpayers receive all credits that they are eligible for. This is an excellent opportunity for students interested in accounting, social work, public policy, finances, and other majors.
Intake Specialist Responsibilities:
- Attend and complete IRS training sessions – this includes both online self-study as well as
live webinar trainings.
- Courteously greet taxpayers and conduct intake interviews in person.
- Exhibit excellent attention to detail in the interview process.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist with the smooth operation of tax site, including paperwork and other duties as
Tax Intake Specialist are required to commit 5 hours each week for the duration of tax season (mid-January – mid-April).
- Proficient with technology and have the ability to coach taxpayers through the use of technology.
- Basic understanding of taxes, and a willingness to learn.
- Strong communication skills and the willingness to discuss sensitive matters with empathy and
- Must be comfortable interacting with people of diverse backgrounds, education levels, economic
statuses, and cultures.
Expect to spend about 6 hours in training and testing during the first three weeks of January. Ongoing training and support is provided throughout tax season.
Questions? Contact Dr. Jacob Peng at firstname.lastname@example.org