The principal certification program is for educators who have at least two years of teaching experience and wish to pursue career opportunities in school administrative positions. The program can be taken as a standalone for certification by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, or as part of an M.S. in Instructional Leadership.
The program centers on a year-long internship that concentrates on leadership and school improvement, student achievement, special education, and promoting professional development. All candidates are assigned a mentor principal from a participating school and a university supervisor, and work with both to design an individualized plan and roadmap to guide the year-long internship. Candidates are then monitored and assessed throughout the year through observation and collaboration by the mentor and RMU supervisor.
Shelly M. Haser, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Principal Certification
Vicki J. Donne, D.Ed.
Department Head, Education
- Course Plan
- LEAD6000 Principal Preparation Seminar - Summer
- LEAD6010 Leadership and School Improvement Internship – Fall
- LEAD6020 Leadership and Student Achievement Internship – Fall
- LEAD6030 Leadership and Special Education Internship - Spring
- LEAD6040 Leadership and Professional Development Internship – Spring
These are some of the classes for students in this academic program: