Develop high-level technical and management knowledge and skills needed to protect cyber infrastructure and information assets.
The growing number of cyberattacks on national and organizational information technology infrastructures highlight the rapidly growing demand for professionally trained experts of cybersecurity. The program is designed to prepare students for new careers in cybersecurity and working as professionals in the field to further advance their professional success.
- Interdisciplinary Curriculum: This degree program uses an interdisciplinary approach that draws on strong technical as well as relevant legal, policy, governance and management aspects needed to protect cyber infrastructure and information assets.
- Applied Knowledge and Skills: Gain applied cybersecurity knowledge and skills through hands-on learning and studying with recognized cybersecurity experts. The program culminates with a cybersecurity capstone project.
- Scholar-Practitioner Faculty: Study with professors who are leading cybersecurity experts and have strong professional and research backgrounds.
- High Job Placement Rate: Graduates of this program have assumed technical and leadership cybersecurity roles in the government and industry.
- On Campus and Fully Online: Complete your degree on campus, or fully online-anywhere/anytime.
Robert Morris University is recognized as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) by the U.S. National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security. Robert Morris University is a designated CyberPatriot Center of Excellence by the U.S. Air Force Association.
The program is designed to prepare you for both technical and leadership roles in major cybersecurity areas such as security administration, network security and management, cybersecurity compliance and governance, digital forensics and cyber investigation, ethical hacking, and cybersecurity consulting.
- Degree Requirements and Courses
- INFS6210 Hardware and Operating System - 3
- INFS6230 Networks & Data Comput/Comm - 3
- INFS6240 Database Management System - 3
- or INFS6242 Enterprise Database Systems
- INFS6490 Computer Network Security - 3
- INFS6760 Info Tech Security & Assurance - 3
- INFS6830 Secure Programming - 3
- INFS6840 Info Technology Governance - 3
- INFS6850 Advanced Topics In Cybersecurity - 3
- INFS7870 Cybersecurity Capstone - 3
- INFS7000 Program Outcome Assessment - 0
- INFS Elective, Any INFS course 6000 level or higher - 3
- Admissions Requirements and Tuition Information
- A completed application. Apply at: https://sentry.rmu.edu/OnTheMove/wpf_adm.startup
- Official undergraduate transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Transcripts from Schools outside the U.S. must have transcripts evaluated by World Education Services (WES) or other National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member organizations.
- GPA: 2.75 or above
- Two current letters of recommendation.
- A current resume.
- A one-page personal essay outlining your interest in the field of Cybersecurity.
- $800/credit, effective Fall 2021
- Program Learning Outcomes
Through your course work, you will learn how to:
- To understand and apply the process of making decisions and to use workbooks, databases and other decision support tools to facilitate management decision making.
- To understand and apply database technologies, design, modeling and SQL to the solution of business problems.
- To understand how laws have expanded and changed due to the Internet and technology to include (CAN-SPAM Act, Patent, and Trademark laws, Cyber Torts, Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Communications Decency Act, Child Online Protection Act, Electronic Communication Privacy Act).
- To differentiate the fundamental principles of operating system, network and application security and security threats, and security defense and tools used to prevent, detect, and overcome security attacks, e.g., authentication and access controls, encryption, firewalls, cryptography, virus protection.
- To evaluate and justify the various components in modern business/competitive intelligence (i.e., Data Warehousing, Data Mining, Business Analytics, Data Visualization, and Business Performance Management) and apply various business/competitive software tools (i.e., ETL, OLAP, Enterprise Reporting, GIS, and Executive Dashboards/Scorecards).
- To compare and contrast the statistical techniques behind the wide variety of data mining algorithms and apply data mining tools and techniques to various business, scientific, and social problems.
- To apply the proper concepts, tools, and techniques (e.g., denormalized star-schema, multidimensionality, metadata, and ETL software) to design a data warehouse that may be effectively leveraged for decision support.
- Demand for Cybersecurity Professionals
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts a 31% growth in hiring for Cybersecurity positions between 2019 and 2029, much faster than average, with the 2019 median pay at $99,730 .
According to CyberSeek, a project supported by the National Institute of Standards and Technology under its National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education program, there were 521,617 National Cybersecurity job openings from October 2019 through September 2020 .
- Meet the Faculty
The School of Informatics, Humanities and Social Sciences faculty is a team of dedicated teacher-scholars, award-winning artists, practitioners, and academics who are committed to your long-term success.
- Contact Us
Diane Igoche, Ph.D
Graduate Program Director
Associate Professor of Computer and Information Systems
Office Wheatley Center 301
Peter Wu, Ph.D.
Department Head, Computer and Information Systems
Professor of Computer and Information Systems
Office: Wheatley Center 308
These are some of the classes for students in this academic program:
School of Informatics, Humanities and Social Sciences
Focus on delivering information in a way that makes an impact. Create images that capture attention, compose words that inspire, and design technology that changes how we live.Visit School Site