Professional Experiences Abroad
About 10% of college graduates in the US have made studying abroad part of their college career.
By adding a professional experience to your time abroad, you will become part of a very small percentage of college graduates and can really set your resume apart from the crowd!
You can incorporate a professional experience abroad into a semester abroad or a summer abroad. Professional experiences abroad include:
RMU students love internships! By doing an internship in another country, you’ll gain intercultural communication skills that students interning in the US don’t gain as easily. Experiencing a work environment in a different country can help make you much more adaptable and flexible when it comes to working in the US.
Internship opportunities vary based on your major and language ability. Contact your study abroad advisor for more information about any of these opportunities.
Internships as part of a Semester Abroad
Many of our Global Approved Programs include the option of an internship in their semester abroad offerings. In this case, you would do your internship alongside the other courses you take during your semester abroad, including a 3- or 6-credit internship seminar. The Global Approved Programs with internship options include:
- American University of Rome in Rome, Italy*
- Eastern Switzerland University of Applied Sciences in St. Gallen, Switzerland
- Kansai Gaidai University in Hirakata, Japan*
- CAPA's Global Business Institute in London, England
- CIS Abroad’s program in Sorrento, Italy
*Internships in these programs are only available for students who study abroad for two consecutive terms in the same location, because the program will work with you during the first semester to find your placement. In Italy, this would be two consecutive semesters. In Japan, this would be a Spring semester and Summer internship.
Note: Some majors are required to register for an RMU course for a semester-long internship. This would limit you to taking a maximum of 15 credits abroad. If you are interested in an internship abroad, contact your study abroad advisor to learn more about this requirement.
Summer Internships Abroad
RMU students can participate in a wide variety of options for summer internships abroad. You can do a 3-credit or 6-credit internship with an accompanying academic seminar, or you can do an internship and seminar alongside a course that applies to your checksheet.
Most are unpaid internships that require payment by the student in order to secure the position, though some are fully-funded or even paid. These options include:
- CIS Abroad
- Use your own resources to identify opportunities that you're interested in. Ask your professors, personal contacts, or even Google to find something that appeals to you.
Note: Some majors are required to register for an RMU course and pay RMU tuition in addition to the cost of the internship program. This can add approximately $3,000 to the cost of a summer internship abroad. If you are interested in an internship abroad, contact your study abroad advisor to learn more about this requirement.
Students who are thinking about graduate school would benefit from doing research abroad. Check out your semester abroad opportunities for research below:
- Participate in research abroad with faculty at internationally renowned research universities throughout Europe
- Apply to a particular research project based on your interests rather than applying to a particular university
- Honors students complete HNRS 4911 Honors Thesis Research (1 credit) and HNRS 4912 Honors Thesis Completion and Presentation (2 credits) through participation in Euroscholars. Note that you will still need to present your thesis once you return to RMU.
- ISA's program in Barranquilla, Colombia
Service Learning Abroad
Service Learning is doing community service while earning academic credit through an accompanying seminar course. Some semester abroad programs offer a 3-credit service learning course alongside 9-15 credits for courses that fit into your checksheet. A service learning course would most likely apply to your checksheet as an open elective.
Semester abroad programs with service learning options include:
- University of Limerick in Limerick, Ireland
- ISA's program in Valparaíso/Viña del Mar, Chile
- ISA's program in San José, Costa Rica
- ISA's program in Meknes, Morocco
- CIS Abroad's program in Cusco, Peru
- CIS Abroad’s program in Stellenbosch, South Africa (Note that this program’s service learning course is worth 9 credits rather than 3.)
Summer abroad programs with service learning options include:
TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. If you are an Education major who wishes to get TEFL certified or if you’re any major considering teaching English abroad after you graduate from RMU, you can spend a summer abroad earning your TEFL certification. CIS Abroad offers TEFL programs in Ecuador, Japan, and Thailand.