Faculty-Led Education Abroad Programs (FLEAPs) provide students with once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to travel and learn abroad while earning course credit.
RMU faculty serve as guides for students for 10-14 days while completing course projects, enjoying guest lectures from local experts, and exploring a variety of cultures throughout the world.
2024 FLEAP Information
If you do not have a passport, you should click here and follow these instructions to apply for your passport as soon as possible. You will need to upload your passport or your passport application receipt on your application.
Choose a Program
FLEAPs are select courses offered by faculty and, as such, appear in the RMU Schedule Book.
- Send us a complete application. The 2024 FLEAP Student Application can be found on Revolution.
- November 1, 2023: Deadline for Spring Break FLEAP applications. Priority deadline for May FLEAP applications.
- November 13, 2023: Final deadline for May FLEAP applications. Some May programs may fill after the priority deadline (November 1st), so interested students are encouraged to apply early.
- The online application requires you to submit the following:
- FLEAP Student Application Form
- A copy of your passport OR proof of application (a receipt from the post office when you submit your application) OR proof of appointment with a local post office (screenshot your appointment confirmation) to submit a passport application
- A copy of your current health insurance card
- Any additional application materials required by the faculty member leading your FLEAP. Any additional materials are included in the Revolution application.
If you apply by November 1st, you will receive a decision by email regarding your application by November 7th. Students who apply after November 1st will receive a decision by email on a rolling basis.
- Submit a deposit and required Health & Safety forms. If your application is accepted, you must pay a $500 deposit and submit required forms on Revolution, which will be shared with accepted students. Payments are accepted via the CGE online payment site.
- Save space on your Spring 2024 schedule. CGE will put the FLEAP course on your Spring 2024 schedule after you confirm your participation and submit your deposit. Make sure you leave room on your schedule so that you do not exceed 18 credits!
Cost & Payment Information
Students who enroll in a FLEAP pay a Program Fee that covers most travel expenses (see the FAQ below for details). The Fee varies depending on the location of the program and is payable on the following schedule:
Spring Break FLEAPs
- Monday, November 13, 2023: $500 non-refundable deposit (Payment 1) Monday
- Monday, November 27, 2023: $1,000 Payment 2
- Thursday, December 14, 2023: $1,000 Payment 3
- Friday, January 19, 2024: Final Payment (Payment 4) due*
- Monday, November 27, 2023: $500 non-refundable deposit (Payment 1)
- Thursday, December 14, 2023: $1,000 Payment 2
- Friday, January 19, 2024: $1,000 Payment 3
- Thursday, February 1, 2024: Final Payment (Payment 4) due*
* Final payment amount will vary by program selected, according to a student’s remaining balance. Contact CGE if you are unsure about your payment amount.
FLEAP courses appear on your Fall or Spring semester schedule, so tuition for them is covered by your Spring 2024 tuition payment (if taking between 12-18 credits, including the FLEAP course).
CGE Scholarship Competition
CGE offers competitive scholarships that give select students $500 to be applied toward the total Program Fee for a 2024 FLEAP. In order to be eligible, you must submit an application, original essay, and a letter of reference by December 8, 2023.
Prepare for Travel
All participating students are required to review all pre-departure information and attend one of the mandatory Pre-Departure Orientations held during the Spring 2024 semester. Participants will receive an email with more information when the orientations are scheduled.
What is included in the Program Fee for my FLEAP? How much money should I bring along with me?
Your Program Fee includes: airfare, housing, some meals, mandatory excursions (for example, museum fees, company visits, historical sites), and supplementary travel insurance.
The Fee does not include: personal spending money, elective (free time) excursions, passport fees, and overweight baggage fees.
Most students spend less than $500 of their own money during travel, but the total will depend on the location of your program. CGE and your faculty leader will discuss this with you prior to departure.
I’m an international student. Can I participate?
We welcome international students to participate in a FLEAP! However, these students should be advised that, depending on the destination country, they may be required to apply for visas or produce additional documentation in order to enter. Contact CGE as soon as possible to discuss what you’ll need to travel!
How do I apply for/renew a passport?
See this great US State Department webpage for all things passport-related!
Are scholarships available?
See above for details on the CGE FLEAP Scholarship competition! Some schools and organizations offer funds to students who enroll in study abroad programs. Get in touch with CGE to hear about your options!
Students who receive a Pell Grant are eligible for the Gilman Scholarship (deadline October 5, 2023 for all FLEAPs and a second deadline March 7, 2024 for May FLEAPs).
What if my application is declined or I am put on a wait list?
Many programs may fill quickly so don’t panic! If your application is declined or you are put on a wait list, you may have the opportunity to enroll in another open program. Reach out to us to talk about your options.
When will I get more information about my course/program?
CGE will confirm your acceptance to a program in November and send periodic updates regarding payment deadlines, your on-campus orientation session, and any additional preparatory sessions for your program. You will hear from your instructor prior to the start of your course in the Spring semester.
When will I receive a travel schedule and flight information?
You can expect travel information to be provided to you 2-3 weeks prior to departure.
Can I meet up with my class at a connecting airport / fly home to a different airport / stay at our destination after the conclusion of the program?
For the safety and security of students, university policy states that all students must depart from and return to Pittsburgh International Airport with their travel group.