SET Domain: Arts, Culture, and Creativity (ACC)
This domain includes experiences in which students explore the human potential for creativity in the arts. As they give concrete expression to ideas, the arts represent an ideal marriage of theory and practice, while developing an aesthetic understanding of the world around us. ACC activities include but are not limited to visual art, electronic and digital media, poetry, musical compositions, performance art, drama, dance, and creative writing.
Examples and Criteria
Students can satisfy the requirement for this domain in one of two ways:
1. Public Performance/Publication/Presentation, such as:
- Acceptance and/or presentation of student creative work in a cultural event including, but not limited to: art exhibitions, design competitions, media and film festivals, poetry readings, conferences,
- Acceptance and/or publication of a piece of student creative work by one of the following mediums: journal, compilation, newspaper, or campus publication,
- Participation in a theater, art, musical, literary, or other cultural event including, but not limited to: acting, singing, dancing, playing a musical instrument, set designing, or arts fundraising,
- Receiving special recognition or an award for student creative work.
2. Completion of the Arts Appreciation Portfolio (AAP), which requires that a student writes one-page reflections on five arts-related activities (one reflection for each activity). These activities include but are not limited to
- Attending art openings, lectures, film festivals, musical or theatrical performances, cultural or creative conferences in-person or virtually
- Watching critically acclaimed movies or films
- Visiting museums or historical sites
Getting SET Approval
To receive SET approval for the Arts, Culture, & Creativity category, students can submit the activity through their Sentry Secured Services account.
Log into account and click on Submit SET Activity under Academics: Sentry Secured Services. The RMU SET Guide to Submitting an Activity gives step-by-step instructions on completing this process.
Please note that only authorized University faculty and staff may approve a submission. Only authorized approvals will be processed.
Please note that the supporting one-page reflection should be given to the faculty member prior to online submission of the activity. Students should also notify the faculty member before submitting a SET activity requiring faculty approval. Any current faculty member may serve as a faculty reviewer. Approval of activities in this category lies at the discretion of the faculty member. Once the activity has been submitted and approved/denied, the student will be notified of the status by an automated email.
The category will be considered satisfied when students have completed either the Public Performance/Publication/Participation option OR the Arts Appreciation Portfolio option. Students may submit Arts Appreciation Portfolio activities as they are completed, but they will see the Arts Appreciation Portfolio activities listed on their SET only after a minimum of 5 activities are submitted and approved.
*If a student is part of a large group or class submitting the same activity to one faculty/staff member, please ask the authorizing faculty/staff member his or her preference for submission of this activity. He or she may prefer to submit the activity as a group.
Questions should be directed to Micah Thompson, Advisor, at (412) 397-6430 or email@example.com.