Student Fitness and Recreation Center Reopening Information
As we return to campus for the spring 2021 semester, the Campus Recreation Department’s priority is to provide a recreational and fitness environment that coincides with the health and safety of our campus community. This plan highlights guidelines for facilities, operations, and procedures to help mitigate the risk of COVID-19 exposure and transmission within campus recreation facilities. All protocols and guidelines were developed using CDC, state and local public health, and the “RMU Ready” guidelines. Due to the nature of infectious diseases like COVID-19, no physical environment is free of risk of transmission. Our precautions are designed to mitigate, but cannot eliminate, this risk.
As you read the details in the message, please note that we will continue to monitor and reevaluate all aspects of our operating plan on an ongoing basis and in the best interest of our community. We must emphasize that the plan is based on current situations on campus, Allegheny County and the state of Pennsylvania. Plans can change at any time based on changing conditions, or recommendations by public health or other authorities. Our professional staff continues to use guidance from regional and national experts in the fields of recreation and fitness management including colleagues from various universities and the National Intramural and Recreational Sports Association to guide our operation.
With that being said here are some key considerations moving forward:
Spring 2021 Details
The Student Recreation and Fitness Center will reopen on Saturday, January 9, 20201 with a modified schedule through Wednesday, January,13.
- January 9 & 10: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- January 11 & 12: 8:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.
- January 13: 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
On Thursday, January 14, the Center will resume the normal semester hours. The Center will be open to students in pre-registered one-hour sessions followed by 15-minute closings throughout the day to allow for cleaning and disinfecting between sessions.
Student Recreation and Fitness Center Operating Hours
January 14 through April 30, 2021:
- Monday-Friday: 6:00 A.M. - 11:15 P.M.
- Saturday: 8:00 A.M. - 9:30 P.M.
- Sunday: 8:00 A.M. - 10:45 P.M.
Registering for a One-Hour Session
Exercise sessions are available in one-hour increments at www.rmu.edu/fitness. New students must complete the waiver form on the fitness page prior to registering to use the Center. The registration process is intuitive and can be completed on a computer or mobile device.
Each one-hour session has a 25 person capacity and a student is permitted to register for seven one-hour sessions per week. Students can also register seven days in advance and the Center staff will monitor registrations and attendance. If a student is unable to attend a pre-registered time, we request that the student cancel the session at least one hour prior to the reserved time so other students may register to use the Center. Failure to cancel a registration more than one time in a 30-day period will result in a seven day registration suspension.
In addition to the capacity management restrictions, the Center staff made several modifications to the operating procedures and equipment layout. Please note that the Center staff are following the guidance from the Pennsylvania Department of Health and Allegheny County Health Department.
- Masks. All students are required to wear a mask at all times within the Center including during workouts, exercises and group programs. Please note that masks must be worn properly at all times, covering the mouth and nose.
- Physical Distancing. All students are required to adhere to the physical distancing guidelines.
Failure to comply with masking and physical distancing guidelines will result in the loss of privileges to use the Center.
Outdoor Fitness Classes
Weather permitting, the Center will be offering group exercise classes outdoors. Spin bikes and other equipment used for group exercise classes are relocated in the storage area off of the patio so that they can be quickly staged for classes on the patio. Students are still required to pre-register for classes. Students who register for a group exercise class do not have to register for a separate one-hour session. Pre-registration is only for students who wish to do their own workouts using the equipment in the fitness center. Class participants are counted separately from our 25 person fitness center limit as they will be occupying a separate space.
- Students should bring their own yoga mats for classes requiring them.
- Students are required to wear a mask for all organized recreation and fitness activities that are offered inside or outside.
- Students will want to consider purchasing a breathable mask that is recommended for exercising.
Students who arrive early to the Center will notice that we have removed the seating area in our lobby and include physical distancing floor markings for students waiting for their workout session to begin.
- Arrive On Time. Please note that our lobby does not accommodate 25 people so students should arrive closer to their scheduled time.
- Temperature Requirement. All students will be required to have their temperature taken prior to entering the Center.
- Plexiglass. We also installed plexiglass at our front desk work stations for the protection of our staff and students.
- Equipment. No sport equipment or exercise accessories can be checked out from our front desk at this time.
- Physical Distancing. We removed the stretching area from the first floor weight room to provide more physical distancing for students using the strength equipment.
- Cardio Equipment. We removed several cardio equipment and will rotate them on a weekly basis.
- Directional Signage. Students must follow the established single entrance and exit protocols and directional floor markings throughout the Center.
- Hand Sanitizers. Hand sanitizing stations have been installed in two areas of the room and we have increased our stock of disposable wipes for students to clean equipment before and after each use.
- Disinfecting. The fitness center will be disinfected after each one-hour session.
Group Exercise Studios
The group exercise studio, indoor cycling studio, and functional fitness room have modified maximum capacities. The group exercise and cycling studios are available for use during your scheduled workout times, but the functional fitness room is only available for scheduled classes. The cycling room is now situated as a space that can accommodate stretching and we moved the “Assault bike,” rowing machine, and a single spin bike into the room that allows for appropriate physical distancing. Sanitizing wipe dispensers and hand sanitizer dispensers are located in each studio. The wearing of masks and being physically distanced are required in the studios and being alone in a space does not preclude the mask requirement.
Locker Rooms and Exercise Apparel
- The locker and shower rooms are closed.
- Students are responsible for bringing their own face masks, full water bottles, and exercise towels to the Center.
- Students should keep their personal items with them at all times and in a small drawstring gym bag.
- Students should arrive dressed for physical activity and not bring personal belongings (backpacks, textbooks, computers, etc.) into the Center. Small combination lockers adjacent to the front desk is available for single use storage of small items such as keys, wallets, and cell phones.
- Water fountains should be used only for refilling personal bottles; students should not drink directly from the fountain.
- Floor markings have been placed on the hallway floors directing foot traffic through the center.
The gymnasium is only available for scheduled and approved events or classes. Open play has been suspended in the gymnasium until further notice. The gymnasium may be scheduled for club sport practices or other activities that can be physically distanced and monitored.
The outdoor court space is currently closed.
We are excited to welcome you back to the Student Recreation and Fitness Center and we look forward to your participation. Please feel free to contact us with questions or concerns related to our protocols at email@example.com.