Counseling Center: Crisis Appointments & Resources
The RMU Counseling Center is not an emergency facility.
- If you are on-campus, call the University Police at 412-397-2424.
- If you are off-campus, dial 911, or go to the closest hospital's emergency department.
Crisis Appointments (during business hours)
- Crisis appointments (same day) are reserved for students who are experiencing suicidal thoughts, have been the victim of a recent crime, or have experienced a recent life-altering event.
- Students can schedule a crisis appointment by calling 412-397-5900 or walking in to the Counseling Center during business hours. (M-F, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM)
- Faculty, staff, or family members may also call the Counseling Center to report concerns about a student who may be in crisis.
Next Day Urgent Care Appointments
- Urgent appointments (within 2-3 days) are for students who are experiencing high distress, but there is not a high risk for harm.
- Students can call 412-379-5900, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or walk-in to schedule an urgent appointment.
After Hours Crisis
- If you are on-campus, call the University Police at 412-397-2424 or the Residence Life Emergency Line at 412-397-5242. You will be connected with the counselor-on-call.
- If you are off-campus, use one of the crisis resources listed at the bottom of this page. If this is a life threatening emergency, call 911 or go to the closest hospital's emergency department.
If you have been sexually assaulted
- Call 412-397-5900 to request a confidential crisis appointment or walk into the Counseling Center during business hours to meet with a counselor for a same-day appointment. The Counseling Center can provide you with additional resources and support.
- You may also call the PAAR Hotline for 24/7 at 866-363-7273. They offer free crisis support, medical and legal advocacy, and confidential counseling services.
Important Contact Information
Crisis Hotlines (24/7 Support)
- Robert Morris University Police - 412-397-2424
- Residence Life Emergency Number (Resident Students) - 412-397-5242
- Re:solve Crisis Network (Allegheny County): 1-888-796-8226
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- Trevor Lifeline (LGBTQIA+): 1-866-488-7386
- Veterans Peer Help Line: 1-800-838-2838
- Crisis Text Line: 741-741
Sexual Assault, Intimate Partner Violence, & Victim Services Hotlines (24/7)
- Pittsburgh Action Against Rape: 1-866-363-7273
- Women’s Center and Shelter: 1-877-338-8255
- Crisis Center North: 1-866-782-0911
- Center for Victims: 1-866-644-2882