Student Health Insurance
Robert Morris University requires that all traditional undergraduate students, both full and part time, carry health insurance that is comparable to the established RMU Student Plan provided by UPMC Health Plan. Additionally, graduate students in the following groups are also required to carry comparable coverage:
- Club Sport Athletes
- Intercollege Athletes
- International Students
- Nursing Students
- Residential Students
Please note that cross registered students are not permitted to participate in the RMU Student Health Insurance plan.
Comparable Insurance Coverage
Students should ensure that their alternate coverage meets the following criteria:
- Must have providers located within 50 miles of campus (Moon Township, PA)
- Coverage that spans the entire enrollment period (no short-term policies)
- Must have a full policy document in English
- Must have a U.S. based claims processing center that pays provider directly in U.S. dollars
- Does not exclude pre-existing conditions (no limitations or waiting periods)
- Must include preventative care
- Must include maternity coverage
- Must include ambulance, emergency room, and hospitalization coverage
- Must have a policy maximum of at least $100,000
New for the 2023 – 2024 academic year, Robert Morris University has partnered with QM Services to assist us with the administration of our student health insurance program. As an RMU student, you are required to provide proof of health insurance that meets the requirements of the above minimum requirements each year that you are enrolled. If unable to do so, you will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) which is provided by UPMC Health Plan and the annual cost for the coverage will remain on your RMU student account and is your responsibility to pay.
What is SHIP?
Robert Morris’ Student Health Insurance Plan, provided by UPMC Health Plan, is a one-year term of insurance (August 1, 2023 – July 31, 2024) that offers national comprehensive coverage, so you are covered at home and at school. Coverage can begin on alternate dates for students who enroll for 2nd 8 week terms, as well as in the spring semester.
Who is QM Services?
QM Services is a Health Insurance Administrator and Robert Morris has partnered with QM to facilitate the hard waiver process. They collect and review the insurance information and serve as the liaison between the insurance carrier, the University and our students. They can also provide healthcare advocacy and assistance for students enrolled in the RMU Student Plan provided by UPMC Health Plan.
How do I complete this requirement?
Each year, you will be able to log on to the QM Services website and make your choice. You have two options to satisfy this requirement. Please note that calls to university offices, verbal statements, and written correspondence to the university do not constitute waivers of coverage.
(Note the QM Services site is accessible from a desktop or laptop computer – not a smartphone or tablet)
- Enroll in the SHIP. The charge for the coverage will remain on your RMU student account and your enrollment with the carrier will be processed. The annual plan year is from August 1, 2023 through July 31, 2024.
- Waive the SHIP with your own insurance that meets the university’s requirements. Provide your insurance information to QM Services, and once reviewed and approved, the annual charge for the student health insurance will be removed from your RMU student account.
Contact QM Services with any questions pertaining to the 2023 – 2024 Student Health Insurance Program or the policy requirements