UX/UI Design B.A.
Become a skilled professional in user experience and user interface design, UX/UI, to positively impact the way people work, live, and play.
The B.A. degree program in UX/UI design prepares students to become user advocates who utilize empathy to better assess client and user needs. Competency in UX/UI allows them to creatively improve experiences within various fields, including entertainment, marketing, and healthcare.
- Cross-Disciplinary Degree: UX/UI brings together research and studio frameworks from art, design, social science, engineering, information systems and communications to foster collaborations, ethical practices, innovation and leadership in human-centered design.
- Career Preparation for High-Demand Fields: As an interdisciplinary degree program, the B.A .in UX/UI prepares students for the emerging fields of user experience design and user interface design as well as product and service design.
- Competency in Digital and Physical Environments: Students gain hands-on and conceptual competency in creating meaningful and seamless interactions between people in both digital and physical environments.
- Degree Requirements and Courses
Required Courses in the Major - 48 credits
- ARTM1020 - 2D Studio and co-req lab ARTM0102 or ARTM1012 - Design fundamentals
- ARTM1022 - 4D Studio and co-req lab ARTM0122
- ARTM1015 - Digital Foundations
- ARTM2010 - Idea Development, Writing and Storyboarding
- ARTM1880 - Interactive Media, Culture, and the Future
- ARTM1021 - 3D Studio and co-req lab ARTM0121
- ARTM2230 - 3D Computer Modeling or ARTM2510 - Intro to Product Design
- ARTM2220 - Designing for New media
- INFS2150 - Introduction to Web Development or ARTM2210 - Introduction to Web Design
- ARTM2110 - Intro to Graphic Design or ARTM3415 Sound Design
- ARTM3710 - Interactive Animation
- ARTM2040 - 360-Degree Storytelling and Immersive Experience Design
- ARTM2710 - Game Design Studio 1
- ARTM3720 - Game Design Studio 2
- ARTM4710 - Experience Design Studio 1
- ARTM4720 - Experience Design Studio 2; and co-req ARTM0400 Professional Practices Seminar
Cross-Disciplinary Courses - 18 credits
- ENGR2500 - Human Factors Engineering
- Programming or Writing course - choose: INFS2160 - Visual C# Programming; or INFS3240 - Python Program Language; or ENGL3020 - Creative Writing
- Programming or Writing course - choose: INFS3115 - Mobile App Development With iOS; or COMM4015 Transmedia Storytelling
- PSYC3250 - Sensation and Perception; or PSYC3600 - Social Psychology; or PSYC3450-A Cognitive Psychology
- Programming or Writing course - choose: INFS4170 - Global, Social, Ethical Issues in Computing; or ENGL3500 - Study of Persuasion
- ORGL2000 - Leadership & Popular Culture; or ORGL2100 - Global Perspectives
Open Elective Courses - 15 credits
Core Courses - 39 credits
- Program Learning Outcomes
- Understand dynamic business practices, write and enact flexible proposals, organize projects, work in and lead teams, collaborate with other disciplines, and develop fluid strategies to maintain currency in fast-moving fields;
- Identify experience design problems, raise ethical considerations, and understand human behavior, user / stakeholder needs through research driven processes, journey maps and use-case scenarios;
- Develop ideas and solutions through mind-mapping, sketching and wireframing; test ideas through analog and digital prototyping techniques; refine ideas by integrating useful feedback from user tests and stakeholders;
- Clearly and persuasively present ideas and concepts, prototypes, completed projects, and start-to-finish processes using oral, written and visual communication skills;
- Use a strategy of intelligent failure in order to learn resilience and critically evaluate work and the work of peers, as well as provide and accept constructive oral and written feedback in diverse settings.
- Demand for UX/UI Professionals
The demand for UX/UI professionals is strong both locally and nationally. RMU has the unique facilities and curricular capacity to aid in meeting this demand, higher in the Pittsburgh metro area than in any other part of Pennsylvania. For example, in early April 2021 almost 700 UX/UI jobs were posted in the Pittsburgh region.
Top employers were PNC Financial Services, Dick’s Sporting Goods Incorporated, Sysmind, The Bank of New York Mellon, CGI Group, Computer Enterprises, Techspace Solutions, Zillion Technologies, Sunray Informatics, and Beacon Hill Technologies.
Average salary, according to Burning Glass Labor Insight’s data on UX/UI, is, as follows with 95.7% obtaining a bachelor’s degree:
- $76,900 with 0-2 years of experience
- $91,400 for 3-5 years of experience
- $96,500 for 6-8 years of experience
The median annual salary for UX/UI Designers was $91,289 with
- 75% earning more than $78,812
- 25% of those employed in the field of UX/UI with a salary of $105,027.
Projected growth of job postings for those with UX/UI experience is anticipated to increase by 11.4% over the next 10 years.
- Admissions and Tuition Information
- Scholarships, Professional Opportunities & Student Organizations
- RMU Next Century Scholarships - The RMU Next Century Scholarships are aimed at students who wish to pursue careers in technology or math-related fields, including in User Experience and User Interface Design (UX/UI). The scholarships are open to applicants from underrepresented groups and others who demonstrate a commitment to empowering members of underrepresented groups, combating stereotypes, and enabling others to better understand persons of different races, ethnicities, or other traits.
- Other Scholarships
- Work-study and scholarship opportunities
- Faculty-led Education Abroad Programs
- The University Honors Program
- Experience Design (XD)
- Society Design Network
- Gallery Club
- RMU eSports
- Tabletop Club
- Work Study
- RMU Scholarships
- Contact Us
The School of Informatics, Humanities and Social Sciences faculty is a team of dedicated teacher-scholars, award-winning artists, practitioners, and academics who are committed to your long-term success.
Andrew Y. Ames, M.F.A.
Associate Professor of Media Arts
Coordinator, Media Arts Gallery
Arts and Humanities
Heather Pinson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Media Arts, Arts and Humanities
Associate Professor of Humanities, Arts and Humanities
Department Head, Arts and Humanities
- Our Graduates Work at
Examples of relevant employment sites of graduates of our former Interaction Design BA and BFA programs, from which we further developed our interdisciplinary B.A.in UX/UI degree program:
- Treatspace, Inc.
- CGI Client Global Insights
These are some of the classes for students in this academic program:
School of Informatics, Humanities and Social Sciences
Focus on delivering information in a way that makes an impact. Create images that capture attention, compose words that inspire, and design technology that changes how we live.Visit School Site